Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fun with Jacob


Today was a fun day with little dude two. He demonstrated a deep understanding of multi-tasking as he crawled, giggled and clutched the jumpy frog all at once. Don’t let this guy fool you! He may look a tad bit over-served but the dude is fast! We’re also sure we have another climber. Jacob pulls himself up on every table, chair, sofa he could find. In addition, he surprised us by standing on his own. At this pace, he may take his first real steps before we leave Arkalyk. Clearly this little bugger is advanced.

I cannot get over the friendliness of the orphanage staff. Not only do they go well out of their way to give kisses and affection to Jacob, they also allow us more freedom than we imagined. Without asking, they allowed us to feed Jacob lunch and keep him much longer than the stated visiting hours. We’ve also been able to video him sleeping in his crib. Speaking of sleeping, one caregiver laughed when she told us he’d slept two full hours after our first visit today. Guess we’re wearing him out!

On the flip side, we’re about bonkers (already!). I hate to admit it, but I do miss working out at the YMCA. We’ve convinced our facilitator we can make it safely to the city’s track and she’s acquiesced allowing us to go during busy times of the day and only if we go together. So, tomorrow we’ll hit the track. Rumor has it the city has a nice pool. We may try to hit it on Friday. Today, I watched about 5 episodes of Scrubs (thanks, Ro!). Other than Jacob, the highlight for me was the cake slice our cook brought me for lunch. White cake, white icing. It doesn’t get much better!

Before leaving for Kaz, we discovered our Visas would expire before we’d be returning home. Today, we paid more $$$ (we’ve set a lot of new US$100s free in this city), signed a power of attorney and relinquished our passports in the hopes we’ll get our visas extended. In addition, we received what I consider “crisis” news in that our stay will be extended by two days. Apparently, an official has to officially register us as visitors in the orphanage to begin the 14-day bonding period. That official was either sick or on holiday until today so although we’d visited for the last two days, today begins the clock ticking before the bonding period ends and we can request a court hearing. Two days may not sound like a lot of time, but to me, it’s an eternity without home! I really, really miss JC. I miss my dog; Abby and I also miss my daily Diet Coke. So, we add two more days to our stay. Big bummer…

As I begin the sign off, I hear cats hissing in the hallway. I know they are cats but they sound like Cujo. At least the kids shooting off fireworks (I was convinced it was gunshots...go figure!) have cooled it for the night. Tonight’s feature film is Dejavu. Better get it started! Thanks for all of your notes. We’ve loved reading them!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he is adorable. Hope you are having fun and I miss you both! Love you. Oh and the internship starts tomorrow and they are taking me out to Favazzas on the Hill for lunch. I think this job is going to be rough. Haha! Take care and give Jake a hug for me.

Laura

Anonymous said...

We are back in STL. I've enjoyed the updates and look forward to reading the new things you discover about Jacob. I cannot imagine how slowly the non-bonding time goes. Time is an odd thing because our five days in SF seemed to be more like one day. We are home to a small mountain of laundry and tomorrow we begin our summer working routine. It's nice to be home and we will hope your days go by quickly!!!!!
FYI - Monday was the anniversary of JC's baptism. Time really does fly!
Love you both!
Jan + 3

katie r. said...

Hi guys!
Its your cuz'n Katie, in NC.
I just got the address today so I'm checking it out now.
I hope you will ALL be home before you know it!
I can't wait to meet both of the little fellas!
(can you pick me up a little girl while you're there? do they have a "buy one, get one free" policy? Just kiddin'.
You guys are amazing! hang in there and take care!
kt

Anonymous said...

Hello Giddens family. I am so glad to hear that the children are receiving good care and that your facilitators are also taking good care of you. What is the holiday in English? is this the Pentecost sunday?

Sorry to hear of the delay for you. Two days can be an eternity when you are missing family and home.

Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. JAN

Dave M. said...

Wow!
What an incredible journey.
Jacob looks like a handfull!
Very cool.
Best of luck with the rest of
your stay and hurry back.
Take care,
--Dave M.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tim on turning your daughter into a son, mission accomplished. Just kidding! He is cute and it looks like your future triathlon team is complete. Now if only you could bribe the judges with a Victoria Secret bag of goodies, you could be first every time. Alternatively you might try Kahlua and Stoli...

We look forward to your updates.

Love, Dan & Amy