Friday, May 25, 2007

Another day down.... only 11 more bonding days to go!






Kelly.... JC & Jake will likely fight over who gets to carry your ring or flowers down the aisle! Or, they can hold hands so sweetly, just like Bobby & Chris, down the aisle together!!!!! Let us know about the house purchase! We can't wait for next September's BIG EVENT!






Apparently being from America is totally funny! Today, on my 10th lap around the track (Tim’s 25th…), some 13-something boys asked, “What is your name?” and “Where are you from?” When I answered “Sherri” “America” I sent them roaring with laughter! We may be the only Americans these kids have ever or will ever see and they used up their only English words as I did my Russian. The little old man who works at the track just grinned (he has no teeth) and walked away. He’s kind of funny. Each time I look his way he makes a circle in the air with his finger. Either he’s saying, “you’re going around the track a lot” or “girl, you Americans are crazy!” My guess is the later.

After hitting the track, we walked a few blocks back to our flat. Believe it or not, this is a picture of our front entrance and then our front door. Looks like something straight out of the projects… the ones slated for demolition. However, inside is very clean and nice. We’ll post pics of the inside soon. After all, we have to have some suspense!

Big news! Tim was able to go swimming today. Believe it or not, the town has a wonderful, new indoor pool. It’s very, very nice. However, it was also the first day of summer break for the kids and I think every child in the town was in the pool making lap swim next to impossible. I got a kick watching Tim try to dodge the kids. He finally gave up since he lacked goggles. But, it was an adventure. We’d not brought bathing suits with us so Tim swam in running shorts. Our facilitator took me to the store to buy a suit. My only choices were very, very small two-pieces so I passed on the swim and read my book instead.

Jacob was once again a totally happy kid today. Our first visit was spent crawling around and reading a book we’d brought from home. On our second visit today, we took him outside to watch the older kids play in the playgrounds. There were two playgroups. One with kids around 1 ½ years to 2 ½ years and the other for kids around 3. Tim blew bubbles for the 3ish kids and they LOVED it. They were running around chasing the bubbles and laughing so hard. You really want to take them all home with you.

It’s Friday night in Arkalyk. We’re settling in with some very strong red wine our host provided and perhaps a movie later. Thanks for keeping up with us! We can’t wait to come home!

6 comments:

Aunt Debby said...

Well it's not the Hilton it's not even the grass shack you lived in on a dive trip I remember seeing. Can't remember the place. However accomodations are not what you went for. Jake the Great gets cuter every day. Kelly is right just put him in your suitcase. We can't wait.

Yes I'm still at work it's slow slow slow.
Hey how about some free advertising. All you bloggers, does anyone need a new floor? I sell all kinds, carpet, wood, laminate, ceramic tile, vinyl, both residential and commercial. Since we are all like family I'm sure I can make you a good deal. It's Classic Carpet, ask for Debby, 314-831-1551. I have time to take your call now!
No kidding just call.
Well the pool sounds good, I'd have to agree with you Sherri about the 2 piece, If it were me and they laughed at me walking around the track... if they saw me in a 2 piece someone could die! On you however it would be fine and dandy. Reading a book sounds great too. Well we still miss you and hope you are hanging in there.
Jill we haven't heard anything from VA aren't you all heading for the lake soon. Hope the kids are having fun, we think of you all often too. Have to go now. You all know we are there with you in heart and spirit.
Debby

Anonymous said...

Hello Again Giddens:
I am everyday looking so forward to your new post. Jacob is cuter in each picture. The apartment reminds me of so many other European apartment complexs I have stayed in. The outside is not great but the apartments themselves are very cozy and well provided. Thanks for the insight into Kazakhstan living.

If you really want to swim get the suit. Who are you ever going to meet again to worry about it? JAN

Anonymous said...

Hey S and T,
I'm glad you're both able to get some exercise! You must have energy to burn with all of the WAITING. I agree with Jan, do buy the swimsuit, Sherri! What telling photos of your flat. I love Jacob's cheeks!
Love,
Alice

Beth said...

Hang in there guys! Ya know if you have enough of that red wine you won't even care about the two piece suit. Buy it! Live on the edge why don't you....Like traveling across the world isn't enough :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri,

Jacob looks like a real cutie - I am with you - the big brown eyes get me every time. My big question is, how are you living without diet coke??! Is there none to be had at all? Are the withdrawls as bad as they say? I don't know what I would do. You are very brave to go to a country without diet coke. You know, Russia had the best diet coke I ever tasted (probably just coke with a diet coke label), but man was it good. I really wish they would import it into the US, I swear it is better than ours (hard to believe, but true).... maybe they can get you some of that stuff - it is worth every penny!

Keep having fun and congrats on making a decision!!

Cristina

Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie! We are delighted for you and hope the time flies and your family is complete well before August 1st. I believe we have a date Sherri and I am looking forward to it. We will continue to follow your journey and keep you in our thoughts.

RoRo